Senior Android Developer
Responsible for leading technical excellence, management and role modelling within the Android team. The role is tasked with ensuring the planning, scoping and delivery of Android projects to specification on time and on budget and that the Android team is well managed and supported
A positive and solutions focussed individual that provides clear and viable solutions to technically complex issues that arise in-project. A keen innovator and enthusiast that strives for excellence by continually assessing and implementing relevant technologies and best practices to maintain the agency’s production of best-in-class work.
Responsible, mature and positive individual with strong communication skills who is adept at client liaison as well as managing and supporting less experienced team mates and the wider project team.
- Responding client requirements with the appropriate technical solution that meets the needs of clients and the business.
- A keen focus on producing clean, well documented and robust code.
- A good understanding of code versioning using git.
- An understanding of software testing practices and principles, including unit testing.
- A good working understanding of the concepts of continuous delivery pipelines and their implementation.
- Experienced with evaluating and integrating 3rd party libraries as per project requirements.
- Interaction with XML and JSON data served via HTTP APIs.
Additional technologies include:
- Kotlin and Java
- Clean Architecture
- Android Jetpack : LiveData, ViewModel, Room, Navigation components
- Retrofit + OkHttp
- JUnit4 and Mockito
- Google Analytics
Including many of the Android support libraries.
PROJECT / DELIVERY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributes to the planning, scoping and delivery of projects to specification on time and on budget.
- Responsible for producing detailed technical documentation including pitch responses, technical write ups and solutions documents.
- Own the technical delivery of the project exceeding client and team expectations wherever possible.
- Understand, evaluate and adapt to change where the client, product or users require it.
- Briefing technical project scope and deliverables to Candyspace’s 3rd party development partners.
- Overseeing the quality of the work undertaken by Candyspace’s 3rd party development partners to ensure that they are delivering quality code to an agreed specification.
- Supporting the troubleshooting of live project issues out of hours when required.
- Working at clients offices when required as part of a cross functional delivery team.
- Ability to manage and implement strategies to reduce technical debt.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Available to support operational challenges out of office hours when required.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Able to effectively communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Mature, credible, and comfortable in dealing with senior company executives.
- The ability to translate complex technical concepts into tangible solutions for clients and the wider business.
- Able to clearly present the relative merits and associated risks of any proposed technical solutions.
MANAGEMENT & STRATEGIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting the Head of Mobile by providing ownership and leadership on projects with minimal oversight.
- Taking strategic ownership of all aspects of Candyspace's templated solutions and offering ideas for product improvement.
- The management and mentoring and provision of technical leadership to the Android developers within the agency.
- Promoting the cause of Android development within the agency via regular presentations and demos.
- Contributing to the refinement of in-house processes and Android development best practices including departmental coding standards.
- Always looking to deliver cost savings and process optimisation through the ongoing search for an improved and value orientated development toolset (e.g. infrastructure, deployment, standards, development languages and practices).
- Mature, responsible and positive person with an enthusiasm for management and leadership
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to independently manage and lead meetings, workshops and project playbacks to senior stakeholders
- Able to present clearly the relative merits and associated risks of any proposed project solution
- Excellent attention to detail and an astute and detail focused coder
- Solution focussed at all times
- Calm under pressure and with the ability to lead others in the same manner
- Business Acumen
Candyspace Benefits Package
We believe in maintaining the health and wellbeing of all who work at Candyspace... So you will benefit from : 20 days annual leave, Bank Holidays + 2 weeks over Xmas (including the Bank Holidays), MacBook, company pension scheme, permanent health insurance (sickness cover), Life Assurance, cycle to work scheme, training & development plan, cereal & fruit, Xbox, table football, and our always popular company socials.